Monday, February 9, 2015

Zucchini Noodles with Turkey Meatballs

I can officially say I am obsessed with zucchini noodles! I love pasta, not only because it is delicious but it is usually easy to make for one.  But in an effort to eat healthier I am diving into some pasta alternatives and I am pleasantly surprised with my newfound obsession.  Tonight's meal took a little more time than the shrimp scampi but it was still an easy weeknight meal for me to whip up.  I found this recipe on pinterest after searching for some more zucchini noodle recipes, it originally comes from A Cozy Kitchen and it did not disappoint. I prepped the tomato sauce and the meatballs at the same time, they both take about 20-30 minutes and are the longest part of the meal prep so I did them simultaneously. After my last zucchini noodle adventure, I bought a spiralizer (from Bed Bath & Beyond) because I knew that would not be the last time I made zucchini noodles.  I have to say, the spiralizer takes it a step further, the noodles actually looked like beautiful noodles this time.
 
 
Okay, I have gabbed enough about my love for zucchini noodles and this recipe, it is time to share the actual recipe with everyone!!
 
Turkey Meatballs
This was the first time I made homemade meatballs, they were delicious and easy to make! Yes, they have a little bread crumbs and a little cheese added in but it is all about balance right?!
Ingredients
1 pound ground turkey
2 tablespoons dried fine bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated parmesan
1 large egg
1 teaspoon salt
Olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
2 tablespoons freshly chopped sage
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
 
Steps
1. To a large bowl, add ground turkey, bread crumbs, parmesan, egg and salt.
2. In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add a teaspoon of olive oil. Once oil is hot, add diced onion and cook until translucent and soft, roughly 5-7 minutes.  Turn heat down to medium-low, add the minced garlic, parsley, sage and crushed red pepper. 
3. Add onion mixture to the bowl of meat and combine completely but do not overmix.
4. Scoop out two tablespoons of the turkey mixture and roll into balls.  Repeat until all the meatballs are formed.
5. To sear the meatballs add a few tablespoons of olive oil to the saute pan.  When the oil is hot, gently add the meatballs and sear on all sides 1-2 minutes until golden brown.  Transfer to paper towels to drain.  Repeat until all meatballs are seared.
 
Turkey meatballs ready to be seared
 

Searing turkey meatballs
 

Classic Tomato Sauce
Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves
2-3 sage leaves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 28-ounce can of tomatoes I used San Marzano
 
Steps
1. Add olive oil to a medium pot, when hot add the diced onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, sage leaves and crushed red pepper, cook for an additional minute, until fragrant.
3. Pour in can of tomatoes; mix and cover the pot, allow the tomato sauce to simmer, over low heat, for 20 minutes.
4. Using a blender, puree the tomato sauce until smooth.  Transfer back to the pot and salt to taste.
5. Add seared meatballs to the tomato sauce and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
 
Zucchini Noodles
Ingredients
4 medium zucchinis
 
Steps
1. Using spiralizer, cut zucchinis.
2. Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a saute pan, when the oil is hot, add the zucchini noodles and cook for 3-5 minutes.  
3. Toss with a few tablespoons of tomato sauce, top with meatballs and garnish with a little parmesan cheese and parsley. Enjoy!!
 
 The finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment