Sunday, July 22, 2012

A summertime favorite! Brushetta pasta!

One of my favorite summertime dishes is Brushetta. Brushetta pasta, Brushetta toast appetizers, or Brushetta on Brie (an amazing spin on the traditional appetizer), you get the idea I will put the Brushetta tomato mixture on just about anything. It is a very light and refreshing dish for the summer, plus it is the perfect season for great tomatoes.

Ingredients for Brushetta
6 or 7 ripe Roma tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced 1 tsp equals 2 gloves
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Steps for preparing the Brushetta
1. Chop the tomatoes into fine pieces.
2. Mix the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar. Add the basil and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Prepare angel hair pasta according to the package.
4. Serve pasta with tomato mixture over it.

Variations if you chose to serve it on toast as an appetizer
You will need 1 baguette of French bread and 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Cut baguette into 1/2 inch slices.
2. Brush one side with olive oil.
3. Place bread olive oil side down on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 450 for 5-7 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and scoop the tomato mixture on each bread slice (on olive oil side)
5. Serve and enjoy!

One more thing before I go, I chose to serve Brie cheese for an appetizer with this meal. I wanted something more than just Brie and crackers so took to searching for what I had in my pantry and that would go well with the Brie. I settled on honey and not just any honey, Savannah Bee Company cheese honey. My sister always brings me different honey from Savannah Bee Co. when I see her which was perfect for this appetizer, thanks sis! Now you need to come to Birmingham and try the Brie and cheese!
This appetizer was extremely easy, I use half of a Brie cheese wheel. I lined a baking sheet with parchment paper and placed the Brie on the baking sheet and drizzled honey over the cheese and baked for about 7 minutes at 350. I sliced and served with crackers we got too excited to dig in I forgot to take a picture.

Brushetta pasta served with Texas Toast


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment