Sunday, August 21, 2011

Simple Sunday Afternoon Meal

I came home from church this afternoon and started thinking about what I could fix for lunch, I finally settled on pasta but didn't want the same ole same ole pasta with some Italian dressing as the sauce.  So I turned to RealSimple.com for a suggestion.  I settled on a pasta recipe that I had found a few weeks ago on the website.  Surprisingly, I had almost all of the ingredients in my kitchen and improvised on what I did have.
 OK, so I won't withhold the recipe from you any longer! I made Pasta with Tuna and Black Olive Vinaigrette.  It was delicious and SO easy to make.  I was happy that I didn't have to run to the grocery store before satisfying my hungry stomach!  I made a few changes to the recipe and I think it turned out great, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Happy Sunday cooking!
Pasta with Tuna and Black Olive Vinaigrette (from RealSimple.Com)
Ingredients:
12 ounces regular or whole-wheat rigatoni or penne
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon capers
1/2 cup of kalmatta olives, pitted and roughly chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
2 6-ounce cans tuna, drained

Directions:
1. Cook pasta and drain and rinse under cold water.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the capers and olives and cook about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley and cook until wilted, about 1 minute.
4. Remove from the heat. Add the lemon juice, pepper, and the remaining oil.
5. Divide the pasta into individual bowls.  Top with the tuna and olive vinaigrette.

OK, my variations!  First, I used angel hair instead of rigatoni or penne.  Second, I didn't have parsley or lemon juice so I didn't use that and it was fine.  Third, I used minced garlic instead of chopped.  Fourth, I used canned black olives, and Finally, I used Starkist tuna in the individual packets not canned.  I'm slowly learning it is okay to stray from the exact recipe and I feel that I finally did that tonight and the meal turned out great!

Before I leave you I want to encourage everyone to try the RealSimple "Taking Back Dinner Challenge", it begins tomorrow (Monday) and sends daily emails with recipes to enjoy and tips for how to get dinner on the table without the stress.  Here is more information on the Taking Back Dinner Challenge https://lifestyle.timeinc.net/realsimple/challenge/register/.

No comments:

Post a Comment