Sunday, April 14, 2013

Chocolate cupcakes with Peppermint Swirl frosting

I have been slacking on uploading new recipes, never fear I'm back and plan to do a major upload today!

While I know these cupcakes are a little more for the "winter" season, it doesn't mean you can't plan enjoy them any time! I tend to find one cupcake flavor that I love for a season and make it for everything I do, these cupcakes were my Christmas season go-to! Lets get on to the recipe!

Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Swirl Frosting
I originally got this recipe from Glorious Treats glorioustreats.blogspot.com and love it!!

Cake Ingredients
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Directions
1. Line muffin tin and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder,baking soda, and salt.
3. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for about 1 minute.
4. Stir in boiling water (your batter will be thin, this is correct).
5. Fill liners about 2/3 full.
6. Bake for 22-24 minutes, I still turn the pan halfway through.
7. Cool completely before frosting.

Ingredients for Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup butter
6 oz. cream cheese
4 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 3 tablespoons heavy cream

Directions
1. Place butter in a mixing bowl and blend slightly. Add cream cheese and blend until combined.
2. Add powdered sugar, a little bit at a time,and blend on low speed until combined. Increase to medium speed until fluffy.
3. Add vanilla and peppermint extracts.
4. Slowly add cream, a little at a time until desired consistency is reached.
5. Beat about a minute, until fluffy.

Because I use a piping tool to frost I usually 1 1/2 the icing recipe, the ingredients above are the original ingredients

Before filling the piping bag or tool, take some red food coloring gel on a toothpick and drag it down two sides of the piping tool then fill with the frosting. Once you frost the cupcakes add a Hershey's peppermint kiss on top, I tend to only put the kisses on half the cupcakes in case some prefer them without. Enjoy!







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment