Sunday, April 14, 2013

St. Patrick's Day cupcakes

This year I went to visit my sister St. Patrick's Day in Savannah and was assigned the task of bringing cupcakes, now that's a task I can handle!!

So I set out on a mission to find the perfect St. Patrick's Day cupcakes, I opted to take two kinds, Green Velvet cupcakes, and Guinness Cupcakes with Bailey's Irish Cream Frosting! They were both hits but I'm pretty sure everyone voted the Guinness their favorite!

For the Green Velvet recipe, I used my traditional Red Velvet recipe but substituted green food coloring in place of red, a simple change! I added a few green sprinkles on top as well. You can never have too much green on St. Patrick's Day!

The Guinness cupcakes recipe I got from www.5minutesformom.com.

Ingredients
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup Guinness stout
2/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1 cup light brown sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream

Steps
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and fill muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. Combine butter and stout in a medium saucepan until butter is melted.
3. Add cocoa powder and brown sugar, whisking until combined and mixture is smooth. Set aside.
4. In a new bowl, mix baking soda and flour. Add salt and sugar.
5. Combine the flour mixture with Guinness mixture and beat for one minute.
6. Add eggs and sour cream, beat for another 2 minutes until well blended and smooth.
7. Divide among the cupcake liners, bake for 14-18 minutes. Cool completely.

Ingredients for Bailey's Frosting
1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 1/4 cups of powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Steps for Frosting
1. Cream butter until smooth and fluffy. Add salt and slowly add powdered sugar. Add Bailey's and vanilla extract and blend until smooth and creamy.
2. Choose piping tip and fill baggie or tool with icing and pip on cupcakes. I chose the round tip and to just add a dollop of icing.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment